International Students

The Young Americans College of the Performing Arts is a private 2-year college in Corona, California offering an Associate of Arts in Performance degree. The average yearly enrollment at the College is around 100 students. YACPA is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students into the AA programs of study. International students (F-1 Visa) seeking admission to YACPA must first complete our standard admissions process as well as submit additional required documentation required to apply for the F-1 Visa. YACPA offers international student scholarships, however, these cannot be offered until you have been accepted, so it is important to provide all required documents in a timely fashion.


Please note that applying to YACPA is a multi-step process. Be sure to follow ALL steps below to ensure the submission of a successful application.


The first step for all prospective members is to audition for The Young Americans Performance Company. For more information visit our Auditions page.


English is the language of instruction for all YACPA programs. The better your command of English, the more likely you are to succeed. Therefore, all international students from non-English speaking countries are required to provide proof of an acceptable level of English proficiency. This can be done in one of several ways:

    Accuplacer ESL
    Click here to sign-up and pay the $20 fee to YA
    Reading: 92
    Writing: 5
    Listening: 80
    Language Use: 91
    Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) 74 iBT
    International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 6
    EIKEN Test in Practical English Proficiency Pre-1
    International Test in English Proficiency (iTEP) 3.7
    Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) 50
    SAT 550 on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing exam
    ACT 20 on the ACT English exam
    Cambridge Certificate of Education in one of the following exams: GCSE, IGCSE, CSEC, O-Levels, AS-Level, or A-Levels “C” or Better in English
    International Baccalaureate (IB) “5” or better on the “English A” Higher Level (HL) Examination

Please note that English Language Proficiency Examination results will only be accepted up to three times prior to May. If you fail a test, you must wait one month before taking the test again and submitting new results. Because all final results must be received by the beginning of May, if your first attempt is in early April and you must retake the test again in early May, you will not be able to try a third time.

    • A high school diploma from a four-year U.S. high school with a letter from the institution verifying that you graduated without ESL support. Please note, GED Diplomas are not accepted.
    • Completion of a transferable non-ESL English composition course- with a grade of “C” or better-from a regionally or nationally accredited U.S institution of higher education (a 2-year college or a 4-year college or university).
    • An official transcript from an international/non-U.S. high school, college or university which you attended for a minimum of three years. The institution must be accredited by its home country’s Ministry of Education (MoE) or Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE). The transcript must also be accompanied by a letter from the institution verifying that the language of instruction was English.
    • An associate or bachelor’s degree from the U.S. or overseas campus of an accredited U.S. institution of higher education.
    • A high school diploma or post secondary degree from one of the following countries: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada (Except Quebec), Cayman Islands, Dominica, Fiji, Gambia, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Liberia, Marshall Islands, Montserrat, New Zealand, Nigeria, Northern Ireland, Papua New Guinea, Puerto Rico, Scotland, Sierra Leone, South Africa, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United Kingdom, U.S. Virgin Islands, or Zimbabwe.


In order for schools to issue the Form I-20 on behalf of the U.S. government, we are required to ensure that the student has adequate funds to cover all expenses while studying in the U.S. To accomplish this, international students must provide evidence that they have sufficient cash or other liquid assets to cover the first year full cost of attendance. The second-year cost of attendance can be satisified by other funding sources such as income. Most international students identify a financial sponsor, such as a parent or guardian, who agrees to fund the cost of studying in the USA and provides the supporting documents necessary to prove financial capacity.

Acceptable evidence documents include:

  1. original bank records showing available funds
  2. a letter on your company’s letterhead stating your current income
  3. a copy of your income tax returns
  4. a tax form from your employer that indicates your annual income
  5. a copy of the most recent payroll stub showing your annual income


Any document from a bank must show an official bank seal. All letters must be in English.

Due to the current COVID-19 Pandemic, financial documents may be digital as long as they are official.


In order to apply for the F-1 student visa from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country, you will need a valid Form I-20 issued by YACPA. YACPA issues you the I-20 form once we can verify the steps listed above have been completed.

YACPA can NOT issue a Form I-20 without ensuring:

1) that the student is proficient in English;

2) that the student has the credentials to undertake higher education studies in the U.S., and

3) that the student has adequate funds to cover all expenses while in the U.S.

Click here to access the YACPA I-20 Application Form (once complete, the application and accompanying documentation may be scanned and emailed to [email protected])


Once you have been issued the I-20 form you can then proceed with applying for the F-1 Visa.

  1. Pay the $350 SEVIS I-901 fee online
  2. Print a copy of the SEVIS payment receipt and take it with you to your visa interview at the U.S Embassy or Consulate in your home country.
  3. Apply for the F-1 visa at the U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country. Please see additional information from the U.S. Department of State.


To better prepare for the F-1 student visa process, please watch this video produced by EducationUSA.

Note that Canadian citizens do not need an F-1 visa to enter the U.S. but they still need to obtain an YACPA I-20 and pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.


Items you will need to take for the visa interview are:

  • The signed I-20 form issued from YACPA.
  • Your Form DS-160 confirmation page (the one with the barcode)
  • A passport valid for at least six months after the planned date of entry into the USA.
  • One 2”x 2” photograph.
  • Proof of payment for the SEVIS fee and visa application fees.
  • Transcripts and/or diploma from previous institutions attended.
  • Scores from placement tests required for admission.
  • Copy of financial evidence submitted with the application to YACPA.


Arriving in the USA
The F-1 visa, stamped on your passport, is your invitation to visit the U.S. The visa, together with the Form I-20 must be presented to the Customs & Border Protection Officer at the port of entry.

Even if you already have a visa, you may not enter the U.S. any earlier than 30 days before Check-In Day. After graduation, you may stay up to 60 days to prepare for departure, unless you have been approved for Optional Practical Training (OPT) or you have been admitted to another SEVP-authorized school. (Graduation ceremony dates do not impact this required departure date. The date is 60 days after the last day of the semester.)

Canadian Citizens: You do not need an F-1 visa, you can travel with the I-20 form. However, you MUST still pay the $350 SEVIS fee online prior to arriving at a USA port of entry. You must also carry a copy of the following supporting documents with you at your point of entry into the USA:

  • Transcripts and/or diploma from previous institutions attended.
  • Scores from placement tests required for admission.
  • Copy of financial evidence submitted with the application to YACPA.

While you are in the USA under the F-1 visa program you must follow all of the following rules:

  • Be enrolled in 12 or more units each semester at YACPA (only 1 course can be online each semester)
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress towards completing your AA degree
  • Do not work
  • Maintain a valid passport
  • Protect and secure your I-20 and other original documents


There are many details to be aware of as an international student at The Young Americans College of the Performing Arts. Please check out the frequently asked questions below.

If you have questions about the admissions process, please send an email [email protected].


What classifies a student as international?

“International students” are those students who require an F-1 nonimmigrant visa classification to study in the U.S. You cannot study on the B-1/B-2 Tourist Visa. Legal permanent residents of the United States, residents of U.S. territories, and naturalized citizens are not considered international students.

What questions should I expect to be asked during my F-1 student visa interview?

For a list of possible questions you might be asked during your F-1 student visa interview, please visit International Student. You need to be prepared to answer these questions in English in a brief, concise and coherent manner.

May I participate in the Music Outreach Training Certificate program?

No. International students must be enrolled in the AA program in order to meet F-1 regulations.


What is the cost of attendance at YACPA?

For a breakdown of YACPA’s tuition and fees, please visit our Tuition & Housing Costs page. YACPA does not charge a different rate for international students.

Am I eligible for YACPA scholarships?

Yes. As an international student, you are eligible to apply for a YACPA scholarship. Scholarship amounts range from $600 to $5,000 per year. YACPAA does not offer any full-tuition scholarships.

Can I work while I am a student?

International students are not allowed to work in the U.S. Failure to comply with this requirement can jeopardize your F-1 student status and can lead to immediate deportation. It is therefore of the utmost importance that you have adequate financial resources while studying in the U.S.


If I am enrolled in the AA program, am I still allowed to participate in Young Americans performance opportunities?

Yes, all students have a number of performance opportunities during their first year. After successful completion of first-year courses, all students may audition to be a part of other YA performance opportunities.

Can I transfer to a 4-year university to pursue a Bachelor's Degree?

You may look into transferring to a 4-year school to complete a bachelor’s degree. These changes can be done from within the USA and will involve a SEVIS transfer once you have been accepted into a SEVIS approved a 4-year school. The SEVIS transfer must be completed within the 60-day grace period to maintain your F-1 status.