New Kids 2019 - Next Steps

There are many steps to complete on your road to becoming a “New Kid” 2019 and we look forward to assisting and supporting you throughout the process!

Unlike traditional college programs, because you are joining both the Performance Company of The Young Americans and enrolling as a student in The Young Americans College of the Performing Arts; there may be additional steps or paperwork that we require that you wouldn’t need for a typical college program, such as a passport or TB test. Every step and requirement is outlined in detail, and all items are due prior to arrival on campus (see listings for specific due dates).

Remember, take one step at a time and we are always here to help should you have any questions or need assistance along the way: [email protected] or (951) 493-6753 ext. 115

The first 3 steps below are things you can complete now. Step 4 allows you to secure your space for fall 2019 by paying the $150 Enrollment Deposit. TOnce you have paid the deposit you will automatically be given access to the Enrollment Application which will outline each of the forms, agreements, and documents necessary for enrollment and participation in our program.


Your Journey Begins Here!

Joining The Young Americans and enrolling in The Young Americans College of the Performing Arts is an opportunity to participate in life-changing experiences, and each new cast member and student is making an incredible commitment and accepting an awesome responsibility.

YACPA is a truly unique college experience!


Background Check

In order to become a Young American, all prospective members must pass a background check. Complete the form and submit the $45 fee to begin!

Background checks typically require 10 business days to be processed. You will be notified of your background check status within 7-10 business days.

If your background check returns any reportable results, we will notify you with a copy of the report. 

You do not need to wait to hear from us to continue in the enrollment process, but should any reportable results be returned, your admission to our program may be rescinded.


Policies & Expectations

Below are important policies relating to being a member of The Young Americans and/or a student of The Young Americans College of the Performing Arts. Please review this information carefully and be sure you fully understand the expectations of our students and members prior to continuing with your enrollment process.

1st Year Active Member Expectations

Learn more about the expectations of active members.

Code of Ethics

Read the Code of Ethics and complete the agreement.

Social Media Policy

Read the Social Media Policy and complete the agreement.


Secure Your Space For the Fall!

Pay the $150 Enrollment Deposit to secure your space for fall 2019. This deposit is required in order to move on in the enrollment process. Once you have paid the deposit you will automatically be given access to the Enrollment Application which will outline each of the forms, agreements, and documents necessary for enrollment and participation in our program.


Enrollment Application

Once you have paid the $150 deposit from Step 4, you will automatically be forwarded to the Enrollment Application. This online application will list every document, agreement, and form needed for enrollment and participation in our program, and will provide detailed information on how to upload or submit each item.

The Enrollment Application has tracking functionality which will allow you to see what has been submitted, if anything needs to be re-submitted, what items are still pending, and what has been accepted.

See the  Enrollment Application Resources section below for information on what documents and forms will be required for participation in our program.


Apply for Your Passport

All students must provide proof of having a current, valid passport book.

Passports typically take 6-8 weeks to process and the cost is $145 USD for first-time applicants.

Proof must be uploaded to the Enrollment Application by June 30, 2019.


Certificates of Health

All Young Americans cast members are required to submit certificates of health due to our program’s intense physical and mental requirements.

There are 3 sets of forms to be completed.

Submissions must be uploaded to the Enrollment Application by May 15, 2019.

HIPAA Medical Release Form

This form authorizes the release of your medical records to The Young Americans.

Preparticipation Physical Evaluation Forms

These forms are to be completed by you and/or your parent/guardian, and your physician.

Brief Health Questionnaire

This form is to be completed by you and/or your parent/guardian.


Proof of Health Insurance

All Young Americans cast members are required to have health insurance while participating in organizational activities.

Proof must be uploaded to the Enrollment Application by June 30, 2019.


Immunizations and TB Test Results

All Young Americans cast members are required to submit proof of immunization for Tdap, VZV, MMR, MenACWY, and Hep B, as well as take a test for tuberculosis.

Proof must be uploaded to the Enrollment Application by June 30, 2019.


Enrollment Agreement

Your Enrollment Agreement will be sent to you shortly before check-in day in July 2019.


List of Enrollment Documents and Forms and Links to Instructions

All of the items listed below will be available on the online Enrollment Application once you have paid your $150 deposit. You may visit the links below for more information on each step and to get started on items like applying for a passport or requesting placement scores.

Please keep in mind that you will not be able to upload any of the items listed below until you have paid your Enrollment Deposit (step 4) and been given access to the Enrollment Application.

Items that can be completed as soon as you receive your Enrollment Application Link*

*The Enrollment Application link will be sent to those who have paid their $150 deposit

Items you should begin working on or applying for

*Most of these items will need to be uploaded to the Enrollment Application.

  • Passport (if you do not have a current passport, or your passport will expire in the next 12 months, you will need to apply, or re-apply, for your passport several months before it is due to allow for processing time)
  • Proof of Medical Insurance with coverage in the state of California (most national plans have California coverage. For state programs such as Medicare you will need to apply for coverage in California under Medi-cal)
  • Proof of Immunization for Tdap, VZV, MMR, MenACWY, and Hep B.
  • Tuberculosis Test Results – (The standard skin TB test is sufficient for U.S. born students. Foreign-born students/members, please read #3 under the Access to Vaccines/Testing section on the Immunizations Policy webpage.)
  • Certificates of Health – 3 sets of forms to be completed (the forms are available in Step 7 or on the Enrollment Application)
  • Proof of Completion of High School or Secondary School
    • U.S. – For U.S. students we require a High School Transcript or GED.
    • International – For International members you may submit a Certificate, Diploma, Official Letter, or transcript.

Below are items that may be required for some students, or that some students may choose to submit, but that may not apply to everyone

  • Lease Agreement and Housing Payment – for those who select to live in YACPA Housing
  • College Transcript(s) / Course Transfer Assessment (Have you taken college courses or participated in a dual-enrollment program through your High School? Wondering if your college credits will be accepted for transfer at YACPA? Click here to learn about the requirements for submitting college transcripts and/or requesting a course transfer assessment.)U.S. | International
  • AP Exam Scores
  • IEP Documentation
  • Visa Application (International members only) – Instructions will be sent in April. Please do not begin this process until details are sent.


Our most frequently asked questions are below. Should you not find the answer you are looking for, email us at [email protected]


When do I send my transcripts?

Please request official High School transcripts to be sent directly to our Admissions office after graduation. They must be official, include your graduation date, and be sent directly from the school in a sealed envelope or via If you have completed at least one semester of college course work after High School graduation (not dual enrollment), only your official college transcript will be required and the graduation date is not needed.

I have already completed college or university classes, how will I know what will transfer?

You may send your unofficial transcript with a request for a preliminary assessment to [email protected]. Official transcripts from all colleges previously attended must be sent by June 30th.

Can I get credit for dual-enrollment courses taken during High School?

You will need to send an official transcript from the partner college for transfer assessment. College courses listed on a High School transcript will not be considered – the transcript must be from the college where the credits were earned. You may send your unofficial transcript with a request for a preliminary assessment to [email protected]

Do you accept AP credits?

Some AP credits will transfer, depending on the course. If you are taking or plan to take AP classes, be sure to take your AP test(s). An AP test score of 3 or higher for certain subjects may count toward transfer credits and could save you $500 or more in tuition! We currently accept the following AP Exams:

  • AP English Language & Composition
  • AP English Literature & Composition
  • AP Calculus
  • AP Statistics
  • AP Psychology
  • AP Music Theory

When do I choose my classes and when do I enroll in them?

Our registrar will create your schedule and enroll you in your classes.


How much does your program cost?

Please visit the Scholarships & Tuition section of our website to learn about tuition and housing costs as well as financial aid information or submit a Cost Estimate Request Form so that we may provide you with an estimate specific to you. We recommend reviewing the Enrollment Option Video and/or Admissions Webinar so that you understand the 3 enrollment options, prior to submitting the Cost Estimate Request Form. Payment plans are also available and you may request additional information by emailing [email protected].

Where can I apply for scholarships?

The Young Americans Board of Directors has approved a number of partial tuition scholarships to be awarded to qualifying applicants who have been accepted to The Young Americans for fall 2019:

We also recommend researching scholarship opportunities online, through your school counselor, and through your local community.

Here are some suggestions from the Federal Student Aid website:

  • Find and apply for as many scholarships as you can—it’s free money for college or career school!
  • Start researching early, and meet deadlines, and you may be on your way to scholarship success.
  • Scholarships are gifts. They don’t need to be repaid. There are thousands of them, offered by schools, employers, individuals, private companies, nonprofits, communities, religious groups, and professional and social organizations. Try these free sources of information about scholarships:
    • Financial aid office at a college or career school
    • High School or TRIO counselor
    • U.S. Department of Labor’s FREE scholarship search tool
    • Federal agencies
    • State Grant Agency
    • Foundations, religious or community organizations, local businesses, or civic groups
    • Organizations (including professional associations) related to your field of interest
    • Ethnicity-based organizations
    • Your employer or your parents’ employers
    • To learn more visit:

Is Financial Aid available?

Students enrolled in our partnership program with North Central Michigan College (NCMC) are eligible to apply for Financial Aid through NCMC. Keep in mind that aid is calculated based on the cost of attendance for NCMC and does not include costs for attendance at YACPA. Financial planning phone sessions with a member of the YACPA staff are available by emailing [email protected].

  • If you plan to utilize federal financial aid (Pell Grant, Student Loan or Parent Plus Loan) complete the FAFSA and be sure to enter North Central Michigan College in Petoskey, Michigan: school code 002299. To learn more about our partnership with North Central Michigan College (NCMC), visit our NCMC Partnership page.
  • To apply to North Central Michigan College visit the YA page of their website and follow the admissions steps: If you have applied for FAFSA, typically within 2-3 weeks of receiving your completed application and paperwork, including transcripts and placement scores, North Central will provide you with an estimated Financial Aid award amount, which will be confirmed once we have enrolled you in your classes (awards are based on the number of actual credits students are enrolled in – please note that transfer credits can impact award amounts).

Who can I talk to about the cost of the program, what my payment options are, or federal Financial Aid?

You may schedule a financial planning phone session by emailing [email protected]. Information is also available on the Scholarships & Tuition section of our website. We also recommend submitting a Cost Estimate Request Form so that we can gather the necessary information in order to provide you with a Cost Estimate.

Where do the students live and how much does student housing cost?

Please visit the Student Housing section of our website to learn more about our student housing options, and the Tuition & Housing Costs section to learn about the estimated costs. Should you submit the Cost Estimate Request form, estimated housing costs will be included in your estimate.

Do you offer a meal plan?

We do not have a cafeteria on site and because the housing is apartments, most students buy groceries and prepare their meals “at home.” We do have a student cafe with vending kiosks offering fresh food.


When do I need to be there / what is the calendar for the year?

All new students are required to arrive the morning of Saturday, July 27th, 2019 and will begin orientations that evening (apartment move-in will also begin that day, after students have checked in). In an effort to help identify calendar details specific to New Kids 2019, we will be creating a webpage with more information soon.

What is the schedule like?

The Young Americans College of the Performing Arts is a rigorous conservatory-style program. Classes are 4 days per week between 9am and 9pm, and rehearsals are 2 days per week, typically lasting 8 hours each. There is one day off each week for homework, rest, practicing, and preparing for the week ahead.

Will I have time for a job?

Because of the demands of our program, we have not seen students be successful in holding down a job (even part-time) and balancing schoolwork and rehearsals. We recommend coming to our program financially prepared to endure at least 9 months without work income.

I am not able to attend this fall, how can I request to defer?

To submit a deferment request, please send an email to [email protected] no later than July 1st, 2019. Please include your name and the reason for your request. Candidates who submit a deferment request after July 1st will be asked to re-audition.

Deferment requests are for a period of one year. Candidates who have officially requested to defer will be required to re-submit the Self-Perception Questionnaire and will be reviewed by the Panel Committee. Results of the review will be sent in the fall. Candidates who are not offered a space for 2020 following the panel review will need to re-audition.